Are you interested in becoming a member of the Camp Cherokee Staff? If yes, then we encourage you to apply for our Counselor In Training Program! Learn what it really means to be a counselor at YMCA Camp Cherokee while spending time with friends and making memories that will last a lifetime!
So What Does a CIT Do?
- Hard work, team-building & fun!
- Mornings: Cleaning the various facilities around camp and assisting in meal service.
- Afternoons: Shadowing counselors, assisting in classes, and team building exercises with the Upper Staff.
- Evenings: CITs play a major role in the Evening Activities and assist with supervision until lights out.
Outside of the usual cleaning duties, CITs are also responsible for:
- Assisting a Counselor with positive leadership, guidance, and proper and responsible supervision of 4 -7 campers.
- Participating in the Leadership in Training program with an Upper Staff Member.
- Knowledge of whereabouts of each camper in group at all times.
- Coordinating, leading, supervising, and actively participating in group and program activities.
- Encouraging positive safety and health measures, and respect for YMCA property, equipment and facilities.
- Maintaining good public relations with parents of campers .
- Setting a good example for the campers, and conducting personal behavior with campers in mind.
It is very important that you are in good health. Your duties will require you to endure hot temperatures, physical exertion, manual labor & behavioral conflicts, and you must be able to walk, run, and swim everyday. CITs should be able to handle, control, and assist 4 – 7 campers in a cabin daily, assist teaching various classes and participate in the cleaning of all areas of camp. CITs are expected to have experience working with children, peers, teenagers, and adults.
The Next Step
In order to apply for a position in our CIT Program, please fill out this application. We will be accepting CIT applications from September 30th – December 5th 2022. After applications close, all prospective CITs will be contacted regarding scheduling a phone interview for a CIT position. After this interview, applicants will be notified of any opportunities to join our CIT program around mid-February. All applications may be submitted to Ian Estes via email at email@example.com or mailed directly to camp at:
YMCA Camp Cherokee
Attn: Ian Estes
1299 Camp Cherokee Rd.
Blacksburg, SC 29702
If you send via email, it is preferable (but not required) that it is scanned in PDF format!
If you have any questions please contact Ian Estes at the previously mentioned email address!